Sunday, November 25, 2007

3 A History and Development of the Carbon Fibre Bicycle

Or more like , the history of Kestrel. Anyway, I had to come back and post this comment. Somewhere in this long video (not sure where, you'll have to find it), the "engineer" mentions frame flex is totally bad for a bicycle. I'd like to point out that most of the flex in a bicycle is elastic and the stored energy is not "wasted" as some think, its rather released, for example in the BB area, in the form of a push to the chain and the rear wheel. Although this energy is not 100% given back, the amount taken by the fram e (strain energy) is very miniscule and irrelevant. Again, in top level competition, a .0001 % increase in efficiency by making a frame "not flex" could be everything to the rider. But its a nice thing he gestured the quote marks, which probably means he doesn't necessarily believe in it, rather its just the hype floating around in cycling circles. I haven't come across any reputable tests done to show flex is bad. C'mon, otherwise everyone would be better off riding reinforned concrete bikes with no flex at all...


  1. Seems to be a few people claiming to be the first users of carbon. Kestrel seems to be the most accepted though.

  2. Ron,
    Just like your blog, I was just recently added to Bike Blog Collection. So, when I saw the Cozy Beehive I checked it out. It's now on my blogroll. Thanks for the informative and entertaining posts. Look forward to reading more. Donald

  3. Chris - I think both Kestrel and Trek were on the same boat on this in the 80's.

    Don - Thanks for adding me. Keep blogging and keep reading (and riding).


Thank you. I read every single comment.