Friday, August 15, 2008

6 Wolf SL Fork Failure 2

I don't like to repeat scenarios but here's another Wolf SL Fork failure situation. I posted a similar one some months back [See previous post].




I found this on the Cervelo forum. The thread starter, Haroon said :


I bought my Soloist SLC-SL in March '07 (just over a year) ridden about ~6,500 miles and yesterday the fork failed. See picture.

I don't want to be an alarmist but no matter what top of the line bike you have - Cervelo or Colnago, carbon fiber will be carbon fiber. This scenario, in particular, is a pretty dangerous one and if you love your family... you would take precautions installing something like a fork with a carbon steerer tube. I'd always rethink which local bike shop I let handle the installation.

Someone from the same thread posted his own picture of Wolf SL fork nearing failure. The carve on the tube is what will eventually lead to a breakage. Take care, riders! I keep posting pictures like this to remind you that fork failures are not FUN! There is no sane reason whatsoever to risk life in order to enjoy your favorite sport.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:50 AM

    Seems the AL insert was missing here again?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:56 AM

    Maybe it is always a good idea to put carbon spacers on a all cabon fork as a safety thing. Max stack height for a 31.8 is 31.8. This is the main reason that, even though I have an all carbon fork, I use ALuminum stem and handle bars, like Easton Ea90 stem and Ea70 wing bars, on my Merckx. It eliminates that nightmare, in sleep, I sometimes have of going downhill and the handlebars breaking off, just as bad as the nightmare of standing down at the bus stop naked. I prefer to descend without abandon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:59 AM

    Seeing your posts like these make me fall in love with my old steel Lemond so much more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. if i aint wrong. the 4th picture has an insert ( there's an silver lining ) do notice 2- 2 1/2 inches down it cracks where the epoxy insert ends.

    too thin walled..my guess.

    nice alert by the way

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cervelo just put a recall out on the Wolf forks. Good follow ups on these forks.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you. I read every single comment.